Sunday, August 9, 2015

Kevin Yu Hosting Aug 2015 Hockey Camp at Bintaro

This is the 3rd camp that Bintaro has held the past year and a half. The previous 2 were with Gary Tan from Malaysia. This weekend it was with Kevin Yu from Taiwan.
Initially, it didn't go well...and for Andrew,as well. Camp started at 8pm this Friday, and 20 kids were skating around the rink with enthusiasm. That was short lived. The drills were hard, un-orthodox, and extremely long. In fact, none of the kids were allowed to get a water break until 9:10. 70 minutes without restoring their body with fluids. Andrew had been in bed all day long fighting an illness,...and this certainly didn't help. He asked not to go back on the ice. In fact, he pleaded for me to bring him home. Wow!!! Andrew would never normally ask to be removed from hockey, so I knew he was not feeling well.

The next morning, I shot off to work as Andrew made his way back to the rink. I was in communication with Natalie who said that Andrew was feeling better. She also reported that Andrew said the camp day two was "Way better". When I got home from work, I approached Andrew who was in much better spirits. He was so happy that Coach Yu gave Andrew a " 'atta-boy " high-5...that he was determined to tell me about it.
That evening, the camp had such a different feel. Kids were smiling, energy was high, and kids were giving their best effort.

Today is the 3rd day. Camp starting out well. 21-22 kids at camp in the morning. Me?...Starbucks in hand as I overlook from the gantry.

No comments:

Post a Comment