Saturday, March 8, 2014

This is the hockey life of Andrew Killin…Welcome

Andrew meeting hockey players. (He's a bit bashful on this day). First day on the ice.
This is Jakarta: Warm, damp, rainy from November to March, heavy traffic, and ....not a mecca for a sport known as ice hockey. I am starting a blog 6 months after Andrew first took the ice at "The Ice Rink" @ Taman Anggrek Mall in Jakarta.
 
12Sept2013 Andrew meets Michael Shu

Andrew is 8 years old and he started the interest of hockey because of me. I am insanely nuts about my favorite hockey team: The Chicago Blackhawks. So much so, I have written hundreds of articles about my favorite team on www.hawktalkalways.blogspot.com  .

He got to see the Hawks win the Stanley Cup on television and became as interested in hockey as me. I offered him the opportunity to ice skate in early September after our vacation from Bali. September 8th 2013 he got to meet a few people on the hockey team and he was introduced to Mr. Simon, who has a boy on the junior hockey team. Mr. Simon offered to sell us his back up pair of skates for a mere 1.7j Rp. (about $170 USD)….yikes….skates are a luxury, so get used to paying high prices for things we in America didn't have to pay that steep a price for.
1 Month skating, Michael teaches Andrew how to inline skate to speed up his balance. 

So, on September 12th, Andrew made his first appearance on the ice. He fell….and fell,…and fell,…at least 30 times. All he kept doing was getting up. He wanted SO badly to make the junior hockey club. I could tell the fire was in his belly. He cried  the first 2 practices because he wasn't on the same level as the younger kids. So, I made sure he got his ice time (and off-ice time) and I paid 3 of the guys to help him skate. But, there had to be at least 6 people that offered to help him learn how to skate the first 2 months. The support from Indonesians was simply Amazing!!! There are few Indonesians that love hockey, so when they saw a little 8 year old who wanted to learn,….they were MORE than willing to help. I will try to show you just how quickly this little boy started to learn the art of hockey and skating. Each post, I will try to put in progression of his learning….so, I will have to date each of his pictures and videos so that we can get an idea when these events occurred until we get caught up to our present date.

My intention is to follow Andrew and his progression of ice hockey throughout his childhood years, into his teen age years, and to give everybody an insight of Indonesian hockey and an insight on Andrew's growth ( or lack thereof) of this wonderful sport called…. hockey.

Welcome to Indopuck.blogspot.com , the hockey life of Andrew Killin. (cool hockey name eh?)




No comments:

Post a Comment