Sunday, March 30, 2014

Dad Takes a Spill Andrew Dishes Out Checks


To clarify,…he calls me "uncle"…Indonesian tradition. Makes sense to  me. But, since I have raised this boy from age 6 on,…you could say he's my son.
Okay now for todays news.

Good ole' dad,…errrrr "Uncle",…decides that he can run sprints with the team. WRONG!!! Speed wise…no problem. But, I took a spill 4 times in 2 attempts. Seriously, I looked old and awful.….Gave myself a few raspberries…..Yeah,… thought of coming out of retirement ended there….hehehehe. But, I did finish after I fell, to let Andrew know…to never quit.

Andrew FINALLY got his YOUTH sized Marian Hossa jersey.  (Aliexpress / Made in China's Store)
About 25 days…. They were not perfect on the order…. 2:3 were correct….all three look amazing. So, we kept 2 Hossa jerseys and gave one to our staff member who knows nothing about hockey, so she could care less what player she received… ~ 300,000 Rp per jersey  fyi.



The coaches don't really go over productive hockey skills. You're talking about 2 figure skating coaches that also coach hockey. Indonesia, not your hotbed for hockey. We have to do most of our practicing off ice. But, what they did do today was a speed drill. Land and Ice. Andrew was the fastest on both. (I don't include Mr. Simon…he's a 40+ yr old mad)… Andrew was 17:44 seconds around the ice. His practicing on cross overs when he got to the goal line has really helped. As the others guided around the back of the net,…he was skating using his cross over speed. Good Job!!!

On the ice today…well, let's say he was a little testy. The parents asked us to tell Andrew not to BODY CHECk them. This isn't Europe, Canada or the USA. So, it's supposed to be less physical. I don't know if that will stop him. How do you tell a boy to not have a 'fighting spirit', especially when there are a few players who won't "pass the puck?" I have an issue if the 2 forty year old men were to check an 8 year old,…but an 8 yr old checking a player  ages 7-11? I see no problem with that. As long as it's in the context of the game.
Alright,…that being said,…he got a little upset and gave  the 9 year old a little message,…if you will.  Then after that, he got a little angry at the goaltender.  I heard Haikal's father complain, but I actually missed that body check to Haikal. I saw both of them collide…and Haikal fell like a ton of bricks…Maybe that is what he thought was a check… that was actually NOT a check.  It was two young boys losing their balance.
Uh oh,…I hear Mom was screaming from the balcony…..Uh oh...I'm sure he knew we were watching, because after practice, he didn't want to look at us. I went up to him and explained that raising sticks in temper (this he did to the 9 year old after practice while they were clowning around)…even if you aren't going to use it as a weapon IS NOT ALLOWED at any time…. So, on his own, he went to 2 of the 3 players and shook their hands. One of them is his best friend at hockey…."Haikal". As you see, they forgave each other.


I downloaded today Hockey by Sean Skinner. We are going to get Andrew to practice these wonderful techniques at home. Then he can take those skills to the rink on Fri and Sun.

Andrew and Haikal after practice 30MAR 2014


Andrew geting "loud"….uh oh…Mom's telling him to calm down.

No comments:

Post a Comment